Food, Health and Hope:
An Answer to Diabetes
FHH DIABETES: KEY PROGRAM OBJECTIVES INCLUDE:
- Conduct diabetes screenings for 3,000 clients at seven food pantries in Essex, Passaic and Union counties.
- Provide diabetes and pre-diabetes medical screenings, referrals and follow-ups for at least 3,000 Community FoodBank of New Jersey clients.
- Provide referrals and support to help clients gain access to medical homes, diabetes self-management education and medical monitoring per the American Diabetes Association Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes.
- In collaboration with the Community FoodBank of New Jersey, provide clients with fresh food boxes containing nutritious food appropriate for people with diabetes (7,200 food boxes annually).
- Offer: quarterly glucose and hypertension monitoring for those that are pre-diabetic or diabetic, performed by SMG clinical staff volunteering their time alongside SMGF clinical staff; annual foot exams, performed by SMG podiatrists volunteering their time; and annual vision screenings, provided by Visionworks and the Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired.
- Provide access to low-cost diabetes medications, when prescribed by local providers, through the Diabetes Foundation, Inc.
- Improve the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for diabetes self-care through group and individual education.
Funding for this critical initiative comes from grants from the Coverys Community Healthcare Foundation and the AMA Foundation, among other sources. The many volunteer hours donated by SMG employees also make this initiative possible. Most New Jersey residents can agree that knocking out diabetes is a noble and necessary cause. Having so many community organizations come together to create this initiative is a great way to start.
How You Can Help
Join us! Together with our partners, we rely on generous donations from people like you to continue to:
- Improve the health and well-being of the underserved in our communities;
- Provide educational opportunities and financial assistance for future medical professionals.
Please join us by supporting SMGF. Every contribution makes a difference!
Summit Medical Group Foundation is the lead funder of the Community FoodBank of New Jersey Healthy Families Farmers’ Markets. Since its inception in May 2017, the Healthy Families Farmers’ Market program has distributed more than 80,000 pounds of fresh fruits and vegetables at sites in Essex, Hudson, Middlesex, Morris and Union Counties.
The Farmers’ Markets are located at or near the food pantries where SMGF conducts free diabetes screenings, helping to combine disease detection, monitoring, education and access to healthy lifestyle choices.